Post 4 - 9/29/21 - Bag Gesture drawings

 





The drawing in the upper left was the first gesture I drew in class on Monday, trying to picture in my mind how a bag would look just as falling on the ground. The second drawing had a similar concept but having the flour travel to the center of the bag while falling; then, honestly, I just let my mind wander with different dramatic poses and scenarios a flour bag could be in.  

The third one I did immediately after was the idea of "ok, what if this sentient flour bag character had a tragic death" because of how absurd that statement is, so I was trying to imagine how a bag would look while being shot. I thought of how a flour bag would react to that happening, with the paper/burlap ripping and folding, and how the flour would react to that momentum in both directions. I do a lot of baking, so I was picturing not only the weight and thickness of those bags and how they would fall if knocked over but also how easy it is for flour to go everywhere. For visual context to put some kind of a story together I included a human getting hit first because the body language and the colors included would aid in recognizing what is happening; along with a brick wall to serve as a surface for the flour to land after coming out of the bag. 

For the fourth bag drawing, I thought of a flour bag in a threatening pose instead of being a victim of violence. I thought of what it would look like seeing a flour bag floating above me, with the part of the bag bending to look down at me. For more dramatic effect, and for the humor of it, I thought of a red cape billowing in the wind; or catching the air under it as the bag floats down. 

The fifth bag drawing was inspired by the Patterson–Gimlin for the classic bigfoot walking pose. I gave this one more stiff, boxed structure than I was planning originally, but I decided to just keep rolling with it and think about how the fabric folds at the end of the corners would act as arms and legs. 

Lastly, I colored the second bag gesture green to avoid it blurring into the other sketches and colored the fifth bag brown to also allow it to stand out and keep with its theme. I wrote text over them just for a last-minute visual gag, writing "NON GMO" and "Natural Flour" over its bending surfaces, and "WILD" on its underside as if it were posing provocatively. Running with the same satirical, tongue in cheek mindset I wrote "NASTY" on the green bag to pair "WILD" with both humor/slang connotation, and to correspond to their bag's color; thinking that the shades of green used for lighting looked something like mold or vomit. 

Comments